4 - How do we collect your personal information?
We usually collect personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so or unless otherwise expressly authorised by you. When we collect personal information, we may do so when you communicate or interact with us, such as when you:
- engage with us via correspondence such as purchase orders, requests for quotes, telephone conversations and emails;
- make inquiries about us, our products and services or contact us for any other reason so that we can process, deal with and respond to your queries or other issues including any complaints;
- contact, register with, post to, like or follow any of our social media websites, pages, forums or blogs;
- answer a survey or question we ask;
- apply for commercial credit;
- use or register on any of our websites;
- register a product you have purchased or subscribe to any of our services (including rebates or loyalty programmes);
- register for or attend any of our events;
- attend any of our sites or locations;
- make applications for prospective employment and contracting opportunities with us; or
- subscribe to a newsletter, fill out a form or survey, enter or participate in any competitions or promotions.
The collection of personal information on our website, via promotions or our social media pages will be clear from the context (e.g. request to complete information fields) or will state that personal information is being collected at the point of collection.
In addition we may collect information through click tracking (in relation to your use of one of our websites including the content you access and any services you utilise) and through log files or cookies (as further detailed below).
In some instances, we may collect personal information about you from third parties, such as wholesale and retail suppliers of home building, renovating and design related products or services, where you have made inquiries about our products or services to the third parties. Also, we may collect personal information about you from recruitment agencies, marketing agencies, labour hire providers, your employer or from third party medical service providers (which provide medical reports, medical or other services like legal or financial services to us) or credit rating or similar services. In such circumstances, we are relying on the third party to have obtained your consent. We may also collect your personal information from publicly available resources.
5 - What happens if you do not provide your personal information to us?
If you choose not to provide personal information that we request in connection with our business functions and activities, we may not be able to provide some or all of our products or services to you, engage with you as intended or be able to respond and assist in the manner required. We also may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want or otherwise respond to you in the way we would otherwise have liked.
6 - How we hold your personal information?
All personal information you provide to us is stored securely. We store most of our personal information in New Zealand or in Australia. We store personal information electronically and physically. We may use a variety of security techniques, including encryption and authentication, to help with the protection and to maintain the availability, security and integrity of your personal information.
We are committed to protecting your information through the following measures:
- restricting access to your personal information to only those who need to use it for the relevant purpose;
- preventing unauthorised access to IT systems by using firewalls; and
- regular monitoring of IT systems to detect and stop misuse of personal information.
When we transfer information outside Fletcher Building, our contract with that recipient will require them to protect your personal information.
As our websites are linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.