At Fletcher Building, our culture, our people and the ongoing development of our people capabilities will drive our success. We are committed to attracting and retaining talented people from diverse backgrounds with a range of different perspectives and experiences to enable new ways of thinking that drive growth and deliver customer outcomes.
We aim to create a high-performing culture where our people have high levels of engagement and enjoy coming to work each day. A great culture and highly engaged people correlate strongly to business success, and we actively measure and influence engagement to ensure we are continually improving year on year.
Our people are guided by our purpose and four values – Protect, Be Bold, Customer Leading and Better Together – which help us create the kind of workplace that delivers great results, in the right way.
Developing our people to grow within Fletcher Building is one of our priorities. In 2020, over 47% of our open positions were filled by internal candidates, creating, in turn, new opportunities for junior roles.
Inclusion + Diversity
Fletcher Building believes in a workplace where differences in gender, gender identity, age, race, nationality, sexual orientation, physical ability, thinking style and background are welcomed and included.
It’s important that all our people can access the opportunities available and can bring their ‘whole self’ to work. We will put ourselves in others shoes, learn from each other and speak up when things don’t seem right.
These are our values, this is who we are.
- We are members of Champions for Change who drive for diversity and inclusion in workplaces.
- We welcome first time job seekers and youth through our targeted recruitment campaigns and sign up pages and partner with government and community groups to attract people in.
- We provide training to support our people starting out in work.
- We have employee action groups representing a diverse employee voice with Executive sponsors.
- We currently have over 500 of our people proudly identifying as part of the LGBTQI+ community.
- In 2015 we were New Zealand’s first construction and building materials company to achieve the Rainbow Tick accreditation.
- We are a principal sponsor of the First Foundation and Tupu Toa, which focus on development and work opportunities for indigenous youth and those from challenging backgrounds.
- Our Māori leadership program, Whakatupu, is developing a pipeline of Māori leaders.
- We participate in the Growing Pasifika Niu leadership programme to grow our pipeline of Pacific leaders.
- We work with universities, the National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC), the Women in Infrastructure Network, and GirlBoss to attract more women into our industry. Our target is to increase the percentage of women in operational roles by 1% year-on-year.
- In 2019, we launched Tradelink Women in Plumbing, an initiative that champions women in the plumbing industry and our internal Women in Technology group is now up and running.